Saturday, June 26, 2010

In the Beginning

So, I wrote a book. Or an epic fantasy spanning multiple dimensions, with a deeply layered plot, sympathetic characters, a magical system that makes sense, and smoking hot romance. Whatever...

Anyway, the book, version six (yes, six) has just finished it's final proof read, and then I'll be sending it off to the gamma readers. Gamma readers would be beta readers who actually read the whole thing, gave me comments, and now I want to see what they have to say about the fixes I made.

Which means I'm on the verge of the next step, figuring out how to get my book into readers' hands.

Here's the deal. I love telling stories, but I also want to make money at it. I do not want to be the starving writer who crafts a masterpiece, slogs through eons of work carefully crafting each sentence and then sells nine copies of the book.

Me, I want to make at least enough to cover the cost of writing the book, and preferably enough to vacation in Mexico. And now a days there are lots of ways to do that. That's what this blog will be about, working my way through the ins and outs of the publishing world, eventually deciding on trying to find an agent, or on self publishing, and then what happens when I go down either path.

I'm obviously not an expert on this. But my guess is if you're reading this you're also looking at your finished book and trying to figure out what to do with it, and maybe you'll find the adventures of someone else who did it helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment